Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Day Notes, Wonder Boys, & Three Pugs



I'm working this New Year's Day -- and just learned a bit of interesting history about one of the businesses gutted by the fire on Western Avenue this morning.



The Modern Café's interior stood in for "The Hi-Hat" Club in the movie of Michael Chabon's novel "Wonder Boys" ; it's been at that location since Prohibition was lifted.

(My story for Channel 4 Action News at 11 tonight focuses more on the owner of KS Kennedy Floral , who lived upstairs from his now burned-out business.)





Here's the trailer for "Wonder Boys", the film shot in Pittsburgh starring Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire, Frances McDormand, and Robert Downey Junior. (See the New York Times review.)







As a break from my usual fare about local government and politics, I also offer this video link as a palate cleanser for the holiday. The Three Pugs:








Here's wishing you a Happy New Year.


.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Bob Mayo, it is me, deegazette and I have been banned from lluvluke. I do not know that your posting to the site asking if Monk had highjacked my computer or vice-versa had anything to do with it, but I wanted you to know. i do not know if strawberry got the post i sent askin if ths banned thing had any connection to the merv griffin song I had on a 45 as a kid where the words went "she was banned in Boston and damned in Cleveland and banished in Baltimore...she was taboo in Philly and St Lou and Chicago didn't dig her anymore..." If so, I apologize to all posters and bloggers and say only that life is short and we all need to make our fun where we can. Good night and Happy New Year.

Bob Mayo said...

Hello, Dee.

It was in The Burgh Report's comment section that I'd asked if Monk was writing under your name. It was a lighthearted question, based on the phrasing of a comment you'd written there. I'm sure that it nothing to do with anything going on between you and Ms. Strawberry Way.

Best Wishes for the New Year.