Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Court Fight Over Maternity Ward Voting Returns

Notes from my Channel 4 Action News report for 11 PM:

NINE EXPECTANT MOMS SUDDENLY HAVING THEIR BABIES WANTED EMERGENCY BALLOTS TO VOTE FROM THEIR MAGEE HOSPITAL BEDS, BUT IT TURNED INTO A COURT FIGHT.

Cliff Levine, Democratic Attorney:
"I think if people understood what was going on in court today, I
think they'd be pretty shocked."

ELECTION PROTECTION AND DEMOCRATIC ATTORNEY VOLUNTEERS WERE SURPRISED THAT REPUBLICAN LAWYERS CHALLENGED AFFIDAVITS FROM MOMS, DOCTORS, AND NURSES, BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T NOTARIZED.

Eileen Yacknin, Activist Attorney:
"(The women are) hospitalized suddenly in Magee right now. They've all asked for the opportunity to obtain emergency absentee ballots in order to be able to vote tonight."


Cliff Levine, Democratic Attorney:
"We have a couple of hours here to get a vote in, and we had nine pregnant women that the Republicans were vociferously arguing to prevent their right to vote. I frankly thing it's outrageous. "


Ron Hicks, Republican Attorney:
"There's got to be certain protections in place, and part of that is, is there really in fact an an emergency. we don't know if there's really an emergency, we're relying on really just paper."

AN ATTORNEY WHO'S ALSO A NOTARY STEPPED UP TO HELP.

Chuck Perego, Attorney & Notary:
"I called my secretary at home, she was kind enough to go to my office and get my notary seal, and she met me at the lobby of Magee Women's Hospital. We went up and interviewed the nurses and had them resign the affidavits."

Q&A with Ron Hicks, Republican Attorney:

Q: "Do you think these women in labor at the hospital were posing as other voters?"

Hicks: "Well, i don't know. i don't know what the circumstances are here."

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: